At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Friday, July 23, 2004

What a difference a day makes.

But not right this minute… I have to BLOG now!

Ok… I feel like saying “what a difference a day makes” but that’s far too cliché and I’m not really sure there is that much of a difference at the moment – even though an hour ago I had come 180 deg. from where I was this morning. [Christian is playing Dreamweaver so everyone is trying not to laugh]. This experience is almost too big to reflect on when I’m still in midst of it. I think I’m punch-drunk by now and this is about to become a giggle-fest. Scott wants to know what a weeb-log is… lol

Last night I felt like I had accomplished something significant in capturing all our video segments and editing a minute worth of video. This morning I tested the video by exporting the 1 min of edited material. It seemed to go fine but when I tried to play it in Quicktime, there was no audio. Then, I couldn’t find the audio in the edited file in Avid. That was a meltdown point, seriously. One of the things I really need to work on is how personally I take it when some tool doesn’t work the way I think it should. By this afternoon I had found the audio and finished our video (4 min 30 sec) – woo woo crit crit. I exported it and it looked like the audio was exporting appropriately. I shut down and went to dinner. Came back, opened the exported file, no audio. Stupid tools – that’s what went through my head. So – one of the things I need to figure out is how not to allow the tools become the process. The tools are there to enable and facilitate whatever it is that we are working on. The tools themselves (in this context) are not the priority. If one tool doesn’t work, I need to be able to recognize when it’s time to let it go and try another tool. Or at least I need to not only recognize when it is time to “step away from the machine” but then follow through with the recognition and actually walk away. This is hard – I like things to work – I like to think that if I just try again I’ll be able to figure out how to make it work – I don’t like walking away – It feels like giving up. It also feels like I’m somehow letting my cadre-mates down… not just the ones in my group but also the ones who are still struggling w/ AvidDV and are hoping that someone will figure it out and help…. Ok… time to step away from the machine…

FYI – Spell check doesn’t appear to recognize the word Blog. That is truly funny. No, really … it’s funny. HA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home