At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Connections

It is so funny (maybe not “funny – haha”) how two people can have two different experiences w/ school (well – with anything I guess). A colleague is also pursuing an advanced degree through an online program (but with a different institution). She is only taking one class per term and often proclaims that she doesn’t see how any of the theory she is learning will help her become a better instructional designer. She reads begrudgingly and when asked to participate in synchronous sessions, she chooses to write down questions that she already knows the answers to because, as she says, “the instructor won’t know the difference.” I’m curious about why there is such a difference in our experiences. Is it something unique to each of us? Do I enjoy the process of inquiry and learning more than she does or do I have an easier time seeing applications for most of what I learn and am exposed to? If so, why? She is a bright, creative, intelligent, professional educator. Or – is it the nature of the programs? Could the program she is attending not be presenting the material in a productive way? Or – is it that she is only taking one class at a time? I sometimes wonder if taking one class at a time makes it more difficult to see and internalize connections. I find that with every project I do for OMET, with every article or book I read, with every TI discussion/class meeting, I see connections to all the other courses, to the professional work I do every day, and to so many other future possibilities. There are, I believe, more connections than I am aware of. In fact, so far, I cannot say that I’ve once felt like saying “how does this apply to anything?” But – in general – that is how I am with most of my endeavors. I have found application or connection for almost everything I do, read, watch, listen to, etc. Sometimes I think one of my most prominent personality traits is to seek connections. Where does that come from? The artist? The actor/dancer/performer? The teacher? The student? The yogini? The wannabe scientist/mathematician? The wannabe philosopher? The conspiracy theorist? How are all these aspects of me related? How do they each lead to making connections between what I learn, hear, see, read, know, feel, etc and what still awaits my attention

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Hi Sukey,

I hope that the program has some small bit to contribute to the progress as we do try very hard to do structure to help with the connections. But I suspect that you also bring a spirit of learning. We cannot make you learn, but we can provide a fertile environment.

M.

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home