At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Music composition and Finale Notepad

I was going to blog about learning theories and what I know about learning - I may still do that later today - but I find myself quite excited about the latest assignment for Gary's class. Compose a piece of music - how excellent!

Use Notepad Finale to do it - how interesting and new (for me).

I could spend hours w/ this tool. I love being able to hear the music as soon as I write it. I remember trying to write music w/ only a piano to work with- in some ways, this is so much nicer (I only wish the orchestra instruments actually sounded more like real ones.… The piano sounds good though).

I have to be careful though, –already I wrote something that starts out sounding kind of Jazzy and then suddenly jumps to a fancy sounding Baroque piece - I like each individual phrase, but they don't go together at all! I really need to figure out how to copy/paste, so that when I do that I can create a new file for the incongruous part.

The other interesting thing is that I find myself getting caught up in the visual aesthetics of the piece before I even listen to it to see if it sounds the way I want it too. I find myself placing notes on the score just because I like how they look – not because I think they will sound pleasing (to my ear). Very, very interesting… when I have composed before, I’ve done it by playing the instrument first and then writing down what I played, this software allows and extremely different approach for me. How fascinating and fun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home