At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The art of letting go... and some ARP thoughts to x-post.

No house on La Jolla Circle = or very little chance of it anyway. I can (and may still ) file an ethics complaint against the listing agent, mostly because I really do hate to see such poor behavior both rewarded and un-remarked upon. But - filing a complaint won't get me the house (even my agent, who is also very angry, acknowledges that). Plus, the final buyer isn't responsible for the dishonesty of the listing agent (I'm not even sure the seller is at this point)... so why should I attempt to do to them what was done to me (take away a house they think they have)... bad karma there for sure. Another lesson in "letting go", I've had a number of those (to varying degrees) in the last few years. So - the search continues and I must make a decision about whether I want to file a complaint "on principle" and set myself up as the agent for someone else’s karmic payback or let the anger go. I’m certainly learning a great deal about real estate, but, as I told my dad the other day, I’m tired of getting smarter… I just want a house of my own. I just have to believe that when the right house does materialize, I will find it and successfully buy it.

One very good thing coming out of this whole “House Hunt,” – an even closer bond between me and my parents. Our bond (and our friendship) has always been strong – but this experience is really giving us a chance to work together as adults on something. I can’t imagine how I would do this without them. In spite of how despondent I might occasionally feel during this process, I really am one magnificently lucky individual. I have to continue to remind myself of, and give thanks for, that.


On to other things…

Big revelation (for me) at work today: there are those on my team who, recently, have begun to feel like they are being pressured to work faster and therefore produce lower quality product (courseware). I (and a couple of others) have commented more than once during these discussions (ok… venting sessions) that I’m not feeling that pressure. Today, after discussing the situation with a couple of others, it occurred to me that some of this may be a result of our differing project management styles. On our team, each person (whether LD, LC, IT, or hybrid) hold some level of project management responsibility (beyond just managing their own specific tasks). I think I had been assuming that the projects I was working on were just not as high profile as some of these others, but now I’m not so sure that is the case. So – I’m beginning to think this may be an even better focus for my ARP (than the more general departmental changes I had planned to focus on). Most of my project management skills and style were developed “on the fly” – rather than through formal training, so I know I could benefit from learning about more formal approaches. I also think the whole team could benefit from a sharing of project management knowledge, styles, approaches, etc. Such an ARP could also provide a more controlled environment for setting up the 3 cycles necessary in the limited time I have because I wouldn’t have to wait for the corporate decisions on departmental change. Definitely worth spending some time mapping out. Hmmm… I should probably cross-post this part of my blog in my ARP blog.

Proverb for today: “If you don’t climb he high mountain, you can’t view the plain.”

And – to end on… a beautiful note of irony…

Finally had a moment of “free reading” time today (felt caught up for the moment on class reading), so I picked up my latest copy of Shambhala Sun (came in the mail days and days ago… w/ Jet Li on the cover…yummmmmm).

Started reading through the articles… and (here is the beauty and the irony) the second article is:
“Not Every Gauntlet Requires Picking Up.
“…not every challenge, nor every thought, needs to be acted on… we could be happier just letting go.” The article is an excellent story about when conflict is not necessarily the only (or right) choice. It ends with: “I decided to hold the largest truth open for them to relax into: annoyance happens. If it’s not a big deal, we can let it go. Letting it go is conducive to peace, and that’s a pleasure.”

HA! And the universe says… “you need a smack on the head? I’ll give you a smack on the head!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home