At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Monday, January 10, 2005

codliver vs. cod liver

You know how you can go through your whole life thinking something means one thing and then suddenly realize in a flash that you've completely missed the point.

Here is an example... my whole life I've heard now and then about "Codliver Oil"... it isn't something that I was ever burdened with tasting or using... but it was a term that reminded me of stories my grandmother would tell or from old movies and books. The interesting thing is that I don't recall ever actually reading about it... only hearing about it. So, for my entire life (until yesterday) I thought of Codliver as one word and did not relate it to anything other than Oil of that name. I thought of Codliver Oil as just some kind of abstract oil ..... like vegetable Oil... for some weird reason that I still don't quite understand, I never made the connection between Codliver Oil and Fish Oil... much less between Codliver Oil and Cod. Yesterday I was watching a movie and in one scene there was a bottle of Cod Liver Oil on a shelf (set dressing) and this huge light-bulb turned on over my head and I said (out loud in my empty save for me house) "OH - Cod Liver Oil... it comes from the Liver of a Cod! DUH! YUCK!" Then, I realized how completely ridiculous it was that I never made that connection and I couldn't stop laughing (note to self - try not to laugh when sick... it doesn't make the throat feel any better).

So - I have to wonder (like one of the kids in the Big Picuture who wondered what he was always rushing too and what he had missed seeing in all his rush) - what other obvious connections have I missed? What other assumptions have I made about things and then filed those assumptions away and stopped questioning?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home