At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

A letter to NPR

Yesterday, Weekend Edition Saturday aired a portion of an email written by an American dive instructor who survived the tsunami. It was a poignant story and one that ordinarily I would have commended NPR for. On the surface, it seemed to be another example of NPR presenting stories that other news sources might overlook. However, in this case I was privy to additional information. It would seem that I am only a couple of degrees separated from Paul (the man whose email the story focused on). As a result, I had received a forwarded copy of the original email a day or so before the story aired on NPR. Of course, the version of the email presented on NPR was edited, that neither surprised nor bothered me. The email contained some very graphic descriptions and some "strong" language. The email was also very long. Of course, NPR would have to edit for length, language, and descriptions. However, in my opinion, it is inexcusable that NPR also edited for content. They left out an entire section that illustrated some of the bureaucratic mess that has negatively impacted the US survivors of the disaster.

So, I wrote NPR a letter.

Since I very much doubt the letter will be read on the air - and if it is, I'm certain it too will be edited - I'm putting it here too... for posterity.

====================================================
Dear Weekend Edition Saturday,


Over the years, I've come to trust NPR as a primary
source of information, news, and entertainment.
More often that not, thanks to NPR, I know about, and
have more thorough information about, important
national and international events before my friends
and colleagues.

So it is with sadness and distress that I write to you
about my recent disappointment in your abridged
version of Paul Landgraver's tsunami survival story.

I received a copy of the original email only a day
before your story aired. Your coverage presented a
very slanted summary. I understand that there are
time constraints on a radio program as well as a need
to edit the piece for language and graphic
descriptions. However, I felt betrayed by the fact
that you chose to omit (or perhaps censor?) what I
believe was one of the most significant elements of
the story.

After surviving the destruction, helping as many
people as he could, and finally finding Karin, Paul
found that the US Embassy could provide him with a new
passport but no other real assistance. While other
countries were charting planes to get their citizens
home, the US was telling Paul that they might be able
to loan him some money (in a week or so) if they could
find three people back home to "vouch for him." While
other countries where trying to tally exact counts of
their dead and reassure the families of the survivors,
the US couldn't even remove Paul from the "neither
found nor alive" list (though he had visited the
embassy twice, received a new passport, and requested
that his family be notified that he was alive). In
the end, an airline from another country stepped up to
the plate and helped Paul return home. It was only
after three days in the states and three visits to the
hospital that Paul was finally listed as "injured".
As of the time that he wrote the original email, his
family had yet to receive official (government)
confirmation of his status.

The edited version of Paul's email that you aired was
certainly heart-wrenching and heartwarming but it was
not the whole story. In fact, it was arguably not the
most newsworthy part of the story.

I've always considered NPR as an honest source of news
that I cannot find elsewhere. It is utterly
disappointing to find that in the case of this story
it is not true.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home