At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Do my actions contradict my words/beliefs?

Being sick can provide some excellent opportunities for reflection. Everything in my head sort of slows down and I can look at things differently. Sometimes - other times my mind just seems to stop working altogether.

Yesterday driving back from the doctor I saw something so ironic that I haven't been able to get it out of my head no matter how fuzzy it is with sickness and medication. Irony has become such an over used word that I sometimes think I forget what true irony is. When you need to be reminded of something, sometimes the universe does provide. So - in the midst of feeling sorry for myself yesterday - I looked at the license plate on the car next to me and noticed that it was one of those special ones that you can one get if your car uses alternative fuel and are willing to pay the extra fee for the special plate that advertises to the world that you care about the environment. Although we do have a reasonable number of hybrid cars driving around town now, you don't see one of these plates all that often, so I took a little special notice. When the light changed, I happened to glance at the drive of the car as I passed him (he was in the left-turn lane, waiting to turn). And, what ironic thing did I see you ask? He was smoking! Not only was he smoking, but as I glanced at him, he ashed his cigarette out his open window. Hypocrisy and irony both. People are remarkable.

So - I couldn't help wondering how often my own actions belie what I claim my beliefs are. The first thing that came to mind is the fact that I've gone to work every day this week and last week even though I knew I was sick. The irony about that several people (including my boss and his boss) came into work the last week of December and/or first week of January very sick (much sicker than I am in fact) and I've been blaming them (in my head) for my own sickness. So - if I thought that they should stay home, get some rest, and not subject others to their "germs," then why do I think its ok for me to go to work when I'm sick? I either need to walk the talk or I need to tone down the attitude. Maybe I'll work on a little bit of both. Right now, in the interest of Walking the Talk - I think I'll sign-off and go to bed early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home