At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Walking Home

I love walking home from work (and walking to work as well). I've only been doing it for about 3 months now and I already experience real withdrawal on the occasional day when I can't (due to weather or the need for a car for some errand).

I think I begin to understand why my father worked at the same job for over 30 years. When I was younger, he rode his bike to/from work (rode me to school on the back of it until I was old enough to ride my own). Later though, he saved the bike for exercising the dogs and walked to/from work. He always explained how much better the day was when he walked. I smiled and nodded - but was sure that if I had my own car, I would drive everywhere! I did eventually have my own car, then for many years I didn't (and rode my bike everywhere), then I bought my first car (when I was 30). My father would still talk about how important walking to and from work is. I still smiled and nodded.

I think the fact that his job was so perfectly suited to him in so many ways has a great deal to do with why he stayed there for so many years, why when he finally did leave it was to retire (although he will tell you a slightly different version of the events that let up to that decision). But, now that I walk to work every day, I can finally see how walking does make a difference.

I don't think my job is nearly so well suited to me as his was to him. I don't know that any one job would ever be completely suited to me - I have so many different interests and want to try so many different things. But walking helps, it helps a lot.

I start each "workday" with 10 to 15 minutes of enjoyable, leisurely, physical exercise. I certainly have to pay attention to my surroundings (especially when crossing streets) but it isn't the same kind of attention that one pays (or should pay) when driving. Walking, for me, is a very introverted experience. My mind quiets as I walk. There is nothing else I can be doing while I walk (except occasionally read a bit). I can't work on the computer, sew something, clean something, cook something, or make something while I walk. I can think while I walk. My mind gets quite and then the thoughts start to open up. I can have a conversation with myself while I walk. This is what I do each day. I start and end each workday with a bit of exercise and a nice casual conversation with myself. I reflect on whatever comes to mind, I let my thoughts wander, I listen for the connections between where my thoughts wander. I try not to make myself think about something specific. I just wait and see what enters my mind, what the thought of the day is.

It is because of walking that I realized the best way to deal with some challenging situations at work - I was able to think calmly while I walked. It is because of walking that I was able to come to an understanding with myself about who I really want to mentor and why. It is because of walking that I know what my next dance costume will look like (even if I have to wait until after I graduate to make it). Walking is more than just exercise for the body, it is like an after exercise cool down (or pre-exercise warm-up) for the mind. It is invaluable. In my old neighborhood, I used to take a 30 minute walk when I got home from work (after the 20 - 30 min drive). That was a great way to end the day and start the evening but walking to/from work is even better. It bookends each day with easy reflection time.

I highly recommend walking. I just know that you're smiling and nodding.

(just to see if he really is reading this)

Dad, you're right. Never thought you would hear me say that, did you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home