At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Friday, February 04, 2005

The fuzzy head hears things differently

Being sick can have some advantages (although I am quite tired of being sick and quite ready to be healthy again). Everything slows down little and the world seems just slightly off center. Maybe that is why I find the following two quotes some how related.

Ossie Davis died today. NPR did a short little story in his honor and I listened to it twice (laying in bed half asleep, trying to ignore my stuffy head and painful eyes). Ossie Davis (and his wife) was an African-American actor and activist of superior quality. This world was greater because he was part of it. He once said "...we can't float through life, we can't be incidental or accidental. It is the consistency of the pursuit of the highest possible vision that gives you the way to understand where you are and why it is important for you to do what you can do." What an amazing soul to understand that, to speak it, and to live it.

Later - I finally rose from my bed, cleaned up the house a bit, took a shower, did some work (homework and workwork), made some food, and sat down again to rest and breathe. I turned on the tv to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (don't diss it if you haven't watched it - it is a unique, creative, well written, and well acted show with just the right dash of farce). It was the season one episode where you could only see the monster if you had a very high fever - rather ironic that I should watch that one today. In it Cordelia has one of her famous lines - one where she seems stupid at first but then you realize that she is cleverer than you initially give her credit for. She is accused of being tactless and responds: "Tact is just not saying true stuff."

So, what's the connection? Maybe it's just that I'm fuzzy in the head - but I think that not floating through life, not being incidental or accidental means that sometimes you have to be tactless... you have to say the "true stuff" and let the chips fall.

That's it for now. I'm out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home