At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Digging in the dirt.

I planted flowers today.

Wild flowers for the humming birds, butterflies, and bees in the back yard... Sunflowers in front of the house (S/E corner and S. side).

The soil was soft from days of winter/spring rain, the sun was warm, and the day just asked to be used for planting. There is something rejuvenating and relaxing about digging in the dirt. It is one of the few tasks that truly clears my head from rambling thoughts of all that is right and wrong in the world. As I plant, I imagine myself as this little old yet somehow ageless woman squatting near the ground, preparing the soil, planting the seed, gently covering it back up and soaking it with delicious water. In my head, I plan the vegetable and herb garden that I will plant next year. I wanted to plant one this year but realized that between school and work, I would not have the time necessary to seed, nurture, and harvest - so that garden waits for me still.

Next comes the anticipation... days or weeks of waiting for the seedlings to show their first fragile shoots and leaves above the soil line... And just when you think some clever bird must have found all you precious seeds, a small bit of green peeks out of the ground and turns itself toward the sun.

I hope that the sunflowers thrive where I placed them. I imagine what the corner of my little house will look like dappled with their lovely yellow faces turning to watch the sun. It is odd - my favorite colors used to purple, burgundy, and green - they still are among my favorites, but each year Yellow and Orange move closer to the top of the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home