At the moment

In general this Blog, through July 2005, will concentrate on my work in the Pepperdine OMET program. Some days my entries will be focused and well written but I'm quite sure that there will be days when the entries will be pure stream of consciousness. It will be fascinating to watch the progression over the next year.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Reflections on learning and leading.

I've come to realize this term that I much prefer instructors who involve themselves in the learning community - not simply as the providers of "information" but also as learners themselves. I appreciate the example that sets and I value the fact that they are actively involved in learning and are willing to share that experience with the community. It seems obvious that I would prefer this type of approach to the "sage on the stage" approach where an instructor dispenses knowledge for the students to receive and learn. What is suppressing though (or ... rather... Enlightening) is that I also prefer this involved approach to the more "removed" "guide on the side" approach. I honestly believe in the constructivist model and I know that I find the greatest value in learning from within a constructivist environment... but I find that I don't care for a constructivist environment where the "instructor" is too far removed, disassociated, or set apart from the learning community.

When the instructor sets up the initial context for learning and questioning and then just "stands back" and lets things take shape... and doesn't (or seems to not) involve himself/herself in the construction of knowledge that takes place, I get frustrated and even somewhat discouraged. When this happens - I begin to feel that the instructor is following a very rigid curriculum that is not living and evolving - so the curriculum is not flexible and does not move with the community's construction of their own knowledge. Then - even if the assignments are important and do relate the enduring concepts the instructor intends - they seem not to relate to what is actually happening in the community.

This term has provided me with some excellent examples of both types of instructional strategy and has provided me with several opportunities to better understand how these different methods affect my own attitude toward what I am learning. I find that when I perceive that the instructor is purposefully removing themselves from the community (or setting themselves apart), I'm less likely to be 100% involved because I'm often questioning (in my own mind) the instructors reasoning for not being involved. At first, I tend to want to move the discussion along, post something thought provoking to engender more discussion... but eventually I loose interest and simply answer whatever questions the instructor initial posts and consider it done. I've notices the same inclination in the cadre as a whole. Threads that have the potential to inspire multi-dimensional discussions become rather flat and uninteresting... become just a series of answers to the original question or questions.

When I look back at last term - I realize that we had a variation of both types of instruction at that time as well... BUT the difference is that the instructor who became somewhat removed from the community by the end of the term was highly involved at the beginning of the term and so the precedent for active and multi-faceted discussion was well established and did not dissipate when the instructor's direct and regular involvement waned. We missed that instructor's direct input (and even discussed that amongst ourselves) but our penchant for deep discussion was firmly in place and that did not change.

Now - I'm left wondering how best to apply this to my own practice. Currently, I design on-line, task-based instruction... or design templates do not provide the opportunity for any kind of instructor involvement beyond the initial design and development... I'm not sure there is a place for it either. But - I can try to be more aware of how I involve myself in my professional community of practice (my team of colleagues here at work). It is, I'm sure, important to be an actively learner within that community and to involve the rest of the community in that learning. I think too, this lesson can be applied to leadership styles... leaders that remove themselves too much from those they are leading may not be as successful (at least not for me) as leaders that involve themselves directly in the community. I'm actually noticing this trend at work right now... more and more our direct manager is removing himself from our community of practice... and more an more I hear my colleague's frustration with this. Quite often I hear the sentiment that "he has no idea what it is that we do and absolutely no idea how we go about doing it." Ironically - this situation has caused us to tighten our internal team bonds... which has helped us work together but has also separated us further from him (our manager). I'm not sure this is a positive thing... but I'm also not yet sure how to remedy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home